Saturday, April 9, 2011

Finding Yourself in America: A Hotdog Story



This weekend I went and saw a production a few of my friends put on called Finding Yourself in America: A Hotdog Story. Two of my dear friends, Jessica and Rachel, have been telling me about it but I didn't know what to expect.

Basically, these wonderful group of people created something from scratch to encourage people to embrace their individuality. The show was based on the idea of hotdogs, an American staple. Where is individuality amongst our culture? What stays and what goes? Each person puts something different on their hotdog. But it's still a classic, delicious hotdog. Except, individual.

Each cast member propelled segments of who they are at the audience, little glass shards of their life. We're all sharper than I think we give ourselves credit for. What rolls around inside of us can do more than imaginable, and to let it loose? That's exactly what these individuals did. They stood up and faced who they were, for better or for worse. They encouraged those around them to take a look at what's swelling inside of themselves and to embrace it. Hold all that you are dearly, your potential is wild and free and unfettered. I'm a fan of anyone who uses creativity to inspire someone to continue, whatever that may mean for them. Experiencing something as special and powerful as this just makes my week. I wish that you could've been there with me to see this performance, so I'll leave you with a little treasure that I hope you'll remember: "To thine own self be true." 


No comments:

Post a Comment