Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Poems from 2010

Here are a few poems from this past year, enjoy!


Headache, heartbreak

My head is sloppy percussion
corn-fed toddlers armed with metal spoons
chastising pots and pans on kitchen tile
unrhythmic beats immune to Advil and sleep
All due to paradigm shifts stretching through
this mind snapping the commonplace with artistry
disheartenment pioneering like the pilgrim I never knew
while the rest of me folds into itself at the crusade I never wanted


Still
bare days;
nothing can reach
but the hues and
tints of light busy
swimming backwards
and forwards across
grainy walls while i wait
for my backbone to click
back into place
i never wanted you
to love me for my
posture
anyways.



Help Wanted
I watch upper lips plunge into thin horizontal lines with
no curve to call themselves a smile, when dimples no longer
come out to play on the apples of cheeks but instead desolately
flatten themselves into vacant faces as the street lamps flicker on.
This regard, this vinegary observance, leads my jeopardized smile
on a rampage checking rusted tin boxes and bottom drawers for
any left over hopes waiting to be spent on an emergency like the
possibility of unemployment for a glittering little expression.



Dearest self
you balance no light like
lamp stands, your eyes
are no sun dials for his
afternoons
and

brave these barbed realities
with your pillowcase courage
if that's where you lay your
head
but

your intentions turned anemic
no warmth, no poise for radiance
renounce this gapping love greased
vocation
please


Slip, slip
I let go because
my grip is made
of sticks of butter
and engine grease

I let go because
moving with you
was ice skating
carving new paths
with bladed feet

Until our rink thawed
into everyone else's
pond.

No comments:

Post a Comment